February 19, 2011

Fashion changes, style never dies.

I'm one of those people who doesn't care for fashion rules, I do me every day. I don't dress based off the mannequins at the front of my favorite stores or even what my favorite celebrities wear. And trust me I know tons of people that worship these celebrities and clock they're every move, buliding their identity in accordance with people like Rihanna, Lady Gaga and such. I do admire their sense of style tho. Ok so our resources are limited and I know that we are all going to have the same basic pieces for each season because that's what they sell at the store, unless you make your own clothes (God bless those who do becuase lord knows I wish my sewing skills were that good)  But I'm saying to some degree our clothes will be similar but it's all in how you put it together. I don't think I can even describe my style becuase I take it day by day based on my mood, my creativity level, and the weather of course. The point is fashion and style don't necessarily go hand in hand. Fashion to me,  is always what is current and style is more personal, like what suits you not what everyone is wearing.
HOWEVER, certain trends you just have to let go, let it die, burn it whatever just don't go out in public and subject yourself to such humiliation.
So I've compiled a list of a few things we should all watch out for, now I'm not gonna say I've never done any of this because I swear I went through this ugly 80's phase with bright leggings/leg warmers/bright patterns alldat and when I look back at the pictures I can't believe I thought I was cute.

Click below to see the list.


-I think it's safe to say that those big chunky waist belts girls wear with every top needs to end. Opt for a thinner waist belt this season, it's a great look for spring 2011
-Excessive bright/loud colors, sometimes it's okay but from head-to-toe it's a definite no. Soft pastels are much more lady like.
-Those colorful bracelets we use to wear, I said USE-TO right?
-Bright sneakers, unless they are some badass classic SB's and you promise not to wear a matching bright shirt don't do it.
-Those bubble necklaces and bracelets, you know the big colorful pearl lookin things...I swear I had every color. But they are the tackiest things to me now.
-Don't buy anything from Rainbow...ever
-Fur is your friend
-Winter white? I don't think so.
-You do know that frosty pink Nicki Minaj lipstick is not for everyone right?
-Don't wear eyeshadow up to your eyebrows unless you're auditioning to be Bobo the clown
-Glitter lipgloss is never poppin'
-Dramatic false eyelashes..uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...no *Michael from My Wife And Kids voice*
Unless ofcourse, you're dressing up as New York from  Flavor of Love


-Having your panties show through your leggings isn't cute, wear appropriate under garmets.
-Black lip liner... Need I say more?
-I never liked Ed Hardy shirts/shoes, pardon me if I don't wanna walk around with a shirt that has dragons on it O_o
-Wearing clothes that have the brand plastered all over it is a definite no. (i.e babyphat, rocawear, ecko red, apple bottom jeans none of dat)
-Long jean skirts...why?
-Over accessorizing...smh why not just wear one nice scarf and a ring or bracelet why u got on your entire jewlery collection at once?
-Socks with heels, yesss! sock with flats/sandals...noooo.

1 comment: